CODE OF CONDUCT FOR TEACHERS
Teaching has been regarded as one of the noble professions. The profession of teaching assumes the obligation to conduct oneself with the ideal of the profession. Our nation holds a rich tradition wherein teachers are supposed to be role models for students in inculcating the values of life.
Teachers of the institution are bound to follow the rules and regulations prescribed by the UGC, University of Kerala, Kerala Service Rules (KSR) and Management.
Main highlights of code of conduct based on the above are as follows:
Commitment to the Institution
- Adhere to the Vision and Mission of the Institution imbibing the preaching of SreeNarayana Guru
- Uphold the values of Gender sensitivity and Environment protection.
- Respect the dignity of superiors and co-workers in the work place and carry out interactions maintaining Official decorum.
- Acknowledge the fact that discharge of assigned duties is an official responsibility and not a matter of personal choice. Any difficulty to comply has to be communicated in written.
- Conform to the rules and regulations of Institution, University and Government while carrying out official procedures.
- Decision taken by the Principal with regard to internal management and administration of the College will be final and teachers are bound to obey the rules framed and enforced by the Principal for maintenance of discipline in the college.
- Supreme authority of the College Council as the apex body of the institutionstands unopposed and teachers are invariablyexpected to obey Council decisions without any fail.
- Uphold the reputation of the department and institution before the public and not to engage in any activity that may prove to be detrimental to its morale, glory and goodwill.
- Exhibit self-restrain and patience in the cases of rifts/conflicts and resolve issues peacefully inside the institution in the best possible manner without wasting valuable time, energy and money of oneself and others over comparatively less important matters.
- Adhere to the rules and regulations of University/ Government/Management which restricts social media communications and posts publicizing administrative decisions, policies and internal affairs of the institution as it may hamper expected confidentiality inviting unwarranted discussions and intrusions.
Commitment to the Profession
- Devote full working time to your profession
- Adhere to a responsible pattern of conduct expected of them by the community
- Manage private affairs in a manner consistent with the dignity of the profession
- Refrainfrom engaging in external jobs that hamper your teaching
- Eagerly make efforts for continuous professional growth through study and research
- Involve in research activities and keep your subjectknowledge up to date
- Express free and frank opinion by participation in professional meetings,seminars, conferences, etc., towards the contribution of knowledge
- Maintain active membership in professional organizations
- Take pride in the teaching profession and treat othermembers of the profession with respect and dignity
Commitment to colleagues
- Treat other members of the profession in the same manner as you yourself wish to be treated
- Speak respectfully of other teachers and render assistance for professional betterment
- Refrain from making untested allegations against colleagues or higherauthorities
- Open confrontation of whatever nature must be avoided
- Speakconstructively of other teachers, but report honestly to responsible persons in mattersinvolving the welfare of students, the college system, and the profession
- Avoid professional jealousy and dispute withcolleagues as you have to work together for the common interest of theinstitution
Commitment to Students
- Teachers should demonstrate to students their commitment forexcellence in work, manners and achievement
- Respect the right and dignity of the student in expressing his/her opinion
- Deal justly and impartially with students regardless of their religion, caste, political, economic, social and physical characteristics
- Help students in physical, social,intellectual, emotional, and moral development
- Help students to develop a sense of responsibility, self-reliance andindependence
- Help students to develop democratic and constitutional values and encourage patriotic spirit among the students
- Assist students to exercise tolerance as they strive for understanding other’s ideas
- Strive to develop mutual courtesy and respect between teachers and students – treat each student withcourtesy and consideration
- Do not involve in any activities thatare likely to corrupt a student
- Do not make students part of any activity that involve the personal interests of the teachers.
- Encourage thestudents to balance their academic and co-curricular fields
- Make responsible efforts to protectstudents from conditions harmful to their health and safety
Commitment to Society
- Realize that education is a public service and strive to keep the public informed of the educational programmes which are being provided
- Encourage theinvolvement of students in social service activities
- Be aware of social problems and take part in such activities as would be conducive to the progress of society and hence the country as a whole
- Discuss controversial social issues from an objectivepoint of view to keep your class free from biased opinions and comments
- Promote collaboration with external agencies thathelp social interaction